Clear skies, raging sun, and the beach. What more can you ask for? Going to the beach in the summertime is a luxury. Seeing a child playing and running on the beach always brings a smile on ones face. What better way to document the joys of summertime by creating a scrapbook layout of your child enjoying the days of summer? This week for our “Everyday Life” series, we are using photos of a child playing on the beach.
If you have a lot of photos, and don’t know what to use, narrow it down to one or two. For the layout on the right, three photos were used. Our photos are a of a child on a beach where the photos of the sky with sand, and a young child playing on the beach. A background paper was chosen to enhance the photos. Because the photos in this layout contains a pale blue with a background of the ocean, a 12 x 12 background with waves was chosen to depict the ocean in the photos.
Once the background paper has been selected, this is your so-called “canvas” to build your layout using the selected photos. Being the theme is a beach scene; we have selected borders with colors that reflect the beach along with the colors in the photos. We have chosen a border with olive green and hot pink that compliments the hot pink swim suit the child is wearing in the photos. Along with the borders we have chosen 6x 6 hot pink polka dot border and a 6 x 6 olive green background. These two background sheets were chosen again, because the colors definitely give the layout a cohesive look.
Based on the colors chosen for the background page and borders, we now have to think about what we want to use to frame our photos. For these particular photos, we chose to create a 5-inch rectangle frame in white to give more focus to the child looking out over the ocean. We then created two 4-inch frames one in pink and one in blue. The blue frame was created for the photo with the pale sky and ocean in the background. The pink frame was created for the photo with the child in her pink bathing suit. If you are not crafty, you can also buy pre-made frames at your local craft store. Just be sure to choose a frame that compliments your photo/photos. If your photos are busy, use a simpler frame. If your photos are very plain without much color, you may want to use a frame with more color and prominence.
We have the background page, and the framing of the photo chosen; now we want to think about what we want to have the layout convey. By looking at the photos, and the colors that we have chosen thus far, we want to add items that convey Summertime and the beach. The child in the photos is playing on the beach without a care in the world. A Journaling card “Summer” was used to illustrate the season of Summer.
There are many embellishments and paper die cuts one can use to represent Summer time and the beach. Embellishments such as two arrows to give emphasis to the embellishment saying “Girls Just Wanna Have Sun.” Another embellishment with the wording “ Sandy Toes & Salty Kisses” was used as well to illustrate the child’s toes in the sand. Lastly, a paper die cut of the word “Fun” was used to show the enormous amount of fun the child is having on the beach.
The bottom line is, you want to create a scrapbook layout that has a cohesive look. Fun background page, borders, frames, embellishments, and paper die cuts are used to help depict the story you are trying to tell. More importantly, have fun with your pages.
- One 12 x 12 Dark Blue Background Sheet by Studio Calico (Sundrift)
- One 6 x 6 Pink Polka Dot Background Sheet by Simple Stories (Sunshine & Happiness)
- One 6 x6 Olive Green Background Sheet by Simple Stories (Sunshine & Happiness)
- One 5-Inch Rectangle Frame created by Scrapping Your Way
- Two 4-Inch Square Frames created by Scrapping Your Way
- One 3 x 4 Journaling Card “Summer” by Simple Stories (Sunshine & Happiness)
- One 3 x 4 Hot Pink Journaling Card by Simple Stories (Sunshine & Happiness)
- One 2 x 2 Embellishment “Girls Just Wanna Have Sun” by Simple Stories (Sunshine & Happiness)
- One 2 x 2 Embellishment “ Sandy Toes & Salty Kissess” by Simple Stories (Sunshine & Happiness)
- One 1-Inch Blue Arrow Sticker by Mambi Stickers
- One 1-Inch Yellow Sticker by Mambi Stickers
- One 12 x 12 Olive Green Sticker Border by Simple Stories (Sunshine & Happiness)
- One 12 x 12 Rainbow Colored Border by Simple Stories (Sunshine & Happiness)
- One 2-Inch Die Cut “Fun” by Simple Stories (Sunshine & Happiness)